ASIAN UME GLAZE
(for meat or fish)
1/3c brown sugar
1/4c soy sauce (all purpose)
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
1 tbsp sesame seeds or finely chopped scallions (garnish)
2.5 lbs meat (chicken, duck, pork, fish)
1. Place all ingredients, except garnish and protein over medium heat and cook for 20-25 min., stirring, until mixture has a jam-like consistency.
2. To marinate, place glaze in a ziplock bag (or bowl) with protein and massage to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. To bake & baste: Bake protein at temperature, while frequently spooning/slathering/brushing extra marinade over protein. After 10 minutes, remove, rotate, reapply marinade to other side, bake 10 more minutes or until protein is fully cooked.
4. Top with sesame seeds or scallions and serve.
1/4c finely diced shallots
1/4c rice vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp sugar
1 tsp cracked pepper
1. Bring UME to a simmer for 10 minutes until alcohol is cooked off, remove from heat and let cool to room temp. until using.
2. Mix UME, vinegar, sugar and salt together
3. Add diced shallots and crushed peppercorns and stir..
4. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours
Serve as a condiment for oysters, clams and other shellfish.
Otherworldly Treats and Fantastical Delights!
SUGAR PLUM SYRUP
1c granulated sugar
1c (~6) frozen or fresh pitted plums, diced (can substitute rasberries)
1/2 lime juice (squeezed)
Dash of kosher salt
1. Reserve 2 oz of UME and place all remaining ingredients in a medium sauce pan
2. Cook the sauce over medium-low heat and keep at a low boil for 20 minutes. Add salt / more lime juice to taste if necessary
3. Let sauce cool and puree using a blender (unless you prefer chunks of fruit). Stir in the remaining UME
Perfect served over ice cream, as a topping for desserts or biscuits, dipping fruit, serving with cheese, etc. Can be stored in a refrigerator for up to two weeks.
U+ME CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
8 oz bittersweet chocolate (70% + cocoa)
1 tbs UME
1/2c heavy cream
1/2c confectioner's sugar
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
1. Gently melt chocolate in a double-boiler, or heatproof bowl
2. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, stir in UME and cream
3. Pour onto a piece of parchment paper and refrigerate 20+ min
4. Once firmer, mould mixture into ~tsp balls and place on a clean sheet
5. Refrigerate for 1-2+ hours until set (store in a cool, dry place)
Makes ~40 truffles.
1. Make the plum compote (can be made in advance)
2. Crush or blend the graham crackrs with 1 tbs of sugar and 1/4 tsp salt
3. Stir crumbs in a bowl with melted butter. Press into a 9x13 baking dish
4. Bake at 325 degrees for ~15 minutes
5. Add cream cheese and sour cream to a separate bowl and beat until smooth
6. Add 3/4c sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Beat to combine
7. Add both eggs and beat until smooth. Pour onto the cooled crust and smooth with a knife
8. Drop spoonfuls of the plum syrup on top and gently swirl through the cheesecake with a butter knife
9. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into squares and enjoy!
U+ME JELLO SHOTS
1 packet unflavored gelatin
Edible glitter (optional)
1. Combine UME and gelatin in a bowl and stir until combined
2. If using, pour mixture into molds or shot glasses. Otherwise, chill in bowl.
3. Refrigerate for 2+ hours in the fridge